Wednesday 18 July 2012

Kenya & Sudan

"July 18th ALREADY?!" That was the thought that fell out of my (Kami's) mouth today. Where does time sneak off to anyway? Hm.

Wayne & I have both said, "It's more comfortable coming back to Kenya this time." Dare we say this country is becoming more familiar and less strange? It's not home, but I think so. My Kiswahilli has come back easier than last time (I just need to be bolder in using it). The people are still the same... very relational, willing to drop everything to come see & spend time with you, readily &'unapologetically change plans on you multiple times :). It's "African time" I guess. In Indonesia they call it "rubber time". It works for the non task-oriented folk... and teaches the rest of us patience.

 Right now Wayne & I are in different African countries. Crazy that. But totally amazing, the opportunity Wayne has to be in southern Sudan right now. He is working with Samaritan's Purse flying in food to a refugee camp. The guys (3 on the crew plus guys on the ground) are working very hard. Yesterday they loaded & unloaded 15 tonnes of food by hand. They were tired to say the least, but what incredibly rewarding work, knowing you are helping save lives. This is the longest Wayne & I have been apart since we got married (3 whole days! :)), but the best way to spend time apart. I am very proud of my husband (& his muscles!). He called last night and said, "Guess what I just got to play with?" After a few guesses I said, "A lion?!" and he said, "Close!"... it was 2 LEOPARD kittens, 8 weeks old, abandoned and being cared for by the niece of the owner of the hotel in Sudan. I now feel a strong calling by God to go to the mission field of southern Sudan and care for leopard kittens :). *sigh* .... how cool are these experiences? Thank you God!

More stories about Wayne's time in Sudan after he is back.

Yesterday afternoon there was a robbery, shoot-out (20 shots) & 4 guys shot by police outside of a restaurant in Nairobi (Amani, see previous pictures) that Sharon & I went to that morning. Sobering. Thank you to those who pray - for us and others. We feel enveloped in many ways.

 We are very well, and honored to be where God has brought us.

1 comment:

  1. Kami, I believe you meant to say the kittens are 8 weeks old [not months]
    Super pictures and you captured the slum atmosphere real well!

    Miss you! mom

    ReplyDelete